Sunday, July 31, 2011

Defining Success

As a child, I once asked my dad what is the meaning of the word success? He looked at me earnestly, scratched his head, adjusted his spectacles, and replied, ‘When I successfully convince you to get up early in the morning for school, I feel successful.’ I got completely dazed on hearing this strange definition. Nevertheless, I felt maybe, this is what makes my dad happy. As far as I remember, I made it a point to get up from the bed dot at 6 in the morning (with few exceptions). As I grew up, I saw this simple definition getting distorted.

On my graduation day, apart from the usual promises to see each other each year, proud parents exchanging mutual admirations for their zealous kids, I noticed a strange thing. Wrapped in the facade of good wishes, each student was inquisitive to ascertain the pay-package of the other. That made me wonder, why we measure success only in terms of money. This is probably, because our minds are conditioned to measure success only in terms of the ‘moolah.’ Consider a hypothetical situation: In an imaginary world, God allowed you trade between success and love, what would you choose? Most people, I am sure would choose the former, but take a deeper look.

Imagine coming home to empty rooms, banal TV, and over efficient microwave. With no family to fall back upon, no friends to criticize/discuss the latest flick, and no special person to share you happiness/sorrow, life would be so redundant. So, maybe, it is time to broaden the horizon of your definition of success. Sometimes, it is really not all about the crisp currency. I feel successful when my father caresses my hair and proudly introduces me to his friends/colleagues. Success comes to me when my sister calls me up for all her ‘techie’ needs and my mom asks my opinion on all ‘non-household’ chores. I taste success when my friends seek my advice on all matters ranging from brands, brandy and buoyz. I have found my definition of success. What is yours? Find it today before you immerse in the surreal world of power, ego, and status.

2 comments:

  1. I guess as we grow old, the innocence of a child gets buried under the new distorted meaning for success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neha! Success to me is not a destination but a journey - that quest for truth in life:)

    ReplyDelete